Wednesday 22 January 2014

Essay Planning: Film and Documentary

As I'd not seen it in a while I needed to watch Metropolis again to see if I could see any themes in the film myself. I also watched the accompanying documentary about the film, Die Reise nach Metropolis (Dr. Artem Demenok) and it's recent reconstruction to get a better historical background on it.

Below are all of my notes.






Die Reise nach Metropolis notes start here



 From watching Metropolis I found that a lot of the theories from Elaesser's book were really apparent. What was useful though was getting my own perspective on the film - I'd been reading a bit of negative material on it, so it was great to watch the film and remember my own opinion on it. This should be useful for linking in how different experiences influence our perception of cultural texts.

The documentary was incredibly helpful for getting an overview of Metropolis's history, in particular how it's been viewed, edited and received from it's conception to the most recent restoration.

I'll build on these materials and my own notes for my essay, looking at how the film is interpreted through the decades.



No comments:

Post a Comment