Sunday 6 April 2014

Essay Work

I was able to find a lot of material on Metropolis from the UWE library. Most of it focused on Fritz Lang and his filmography, but some offered more in depth reflection on the film. A lot of the same information was repeated, but most were great for picking parts of the film apart. It took a while to find information on Lang's wife, von Harbou (to say she was involved with the Third Reich, there really isn't a lot chronicling her life). By looking around the subject, at design books and books by suggested theorists, this helped as well to get a different perspective on what could be influencing the film and us as consumers.


This was only an efficient way to work because I researched which books were relevant beforehand. I think if I had picked every book up, I wouldn't have found half of the information that I needed. Still it guaranteed that the sources were reputable - which I've been careful with over the research, although the Eisner book did seem quite biased. Even reputable sources can be misleading in this way and had to be checked when doing an essay on opinion.

I managed to find relevant images as well, mainly from the film or the documentary Die Reise Nach Metropolis. I initially thought that I wouldn't be able to relate any images to the essay, as it focuses on the audience. But it's their interpretation of the item that's being studied, so illustrating this with images, that the reader can interpret themselves, actually works well.



No comments:

Post a Comment